Tuesday, April 14, 2009

To make you smile...

When I tell people what I do "for a living", I often get an exasperated response from them. They usually say something like, "Oh! I could NEVER do that!". But the truth is, I LOVE these little children that come through my doors year after year. What could be more precious than a 3 or 4 year old?? They are so full of life and wonder. They hang on your every word (usually! LOL). They love you back. I get so much joy from them! We had a little Easter hunt last Thursday. Craig was home so I had him hide the goodies while I kept the kiddos busy. Here is Craig, (aka the Easter Bunny) giving last minute instructions to the crew of eager children. He was such a good sport---He took FOREVER to hide all the goodies. When I saw what he did, I understood why. He strategically placed treats everywhere in cute little groupings. Then, he walked through the house with them "helping" them find his hiding spots! :) It was adorable! Today we started our community helpers unit. We talked about barbers and beauticians today. We played "beauty shop" and I was the hair dresser. We fluffed and combed and sprayed.
We talked about how we need to tell the hairdresser how we want our hair to be done. Spencer wanted a Mohawk. His hair was too curly, but I did my best. :)
Emma wanted hers like Hannah Montana's, Lacey wanted hers fluffy, and Nevaeh just said she didn't want hers "all crazy". I didn't include photos of everyone, but they all went home with some new hair-do's!!
And finally, here is a shot of the ladder Craig made me. I wanted it a little wider so I could put several quilts on it. The rag doll is one I made for Ragan many years ago. She is in the need of a makeover, I think. Since I am in the hairdresser mode today, maybe she will get a little "pick-me-up".
Have a fantastic day!
OXOX

9 comments:

Julie said...

It's so wonderful to see teachers like you who REALLY care about children. Your hubby seems like a wonderful person, too. I'll bet the parents of these kids are so glad they get to come to your house. Your ladder is great. I have one that is similar. It needs a paint job though. Have a great day. Julie

Amanda said...

What a lot of cuties - and you're right, the rewards from being with little children far outweigh the difficulties. What a lovely quilt ladder too.

TrishAnderson said...

Gotta love the kids. Hey, it may not be the profession for all of us, but because we have loving people such as yourself our kids have a wonderful place to go. Thank you for what you do. The hair dos look fun. LOVE the ladder.

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

I love the ladder! Yeah, and the quilts hanging on it as well :-) I'm in the Nusery, and I'm enjoying it very much. It's a lot of fun and not at all what some others make it out to be.... (I also liked cub scouts...LOL)♥

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Having been a HeadStart teacher for 20 years and a Protective Services day-care provider for 10 years before that, I understand your feelings about kids. It is a marvelous time for kids. They learn so much and so willingly.

Love your wide ladder....

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I love that age of children too, JoAnne! They are so precious and so honest and love you no matter what! I know you're a terrific teacher and how sweet of your hubby!

All the children are so cute and love all the hairdos!

Tammy

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Just love the pictures of the little girls smiling:) Not everyone can do what you do...what a great lady you are:)
Rondell

Kimberly said...

Jo-Anne, your 'smiley happy people' pictures were what I needed today! Thanks for the tip about the book... we'll see if I have to go that route or not.
Blessings, Kimberly

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

How did I miss this?? You made me nostalgic for the old days at school. What fun Craig got involved too. There is nothing like the excitment in the kids eyes, is there?!

Love the new little runner you made. It certainly does look like spring!!

hugs, Linda