Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree....

Today in preschool we are learning about the tradition of the Christmas tree. It is a super fun day with a very fun (and messy!) art activity. And since I have enjoyed looking at all of your Christmas decorations, I decided to add a few pictures of ours. This is a nativity that I bought at a little store in Logan, Utah called Six Star. It is basically a step up from a dollar store, but they had terrific deals. This cost me $6. No kidding. It is ceramic and the pieces are big. The preschool kids love it. I often find baby Jesus missing......:)
When we looked at our house for the first time, I fell in love with the banister. I honestly thought, "That will be so fun to decorate at Christmas time". This year, I toned it down a little since last year, Craig thought someone might fall because the handrail was all covered! :):):) And finally, here is our tree. I bought it at an after Christmas sale about 5 years ago. It is 10 ft. tall and pre-lit. It only cost $30. I love this tree. Simply because it was cheap and I don't have to put lights on it! After all those years of Charlie Brown trees, this one feels magnificent! (Although after looking at this picture, there will be some tweaking of the tree skirt and some other wonky things that I noticed!)
It is covered with ornaments galore. Some drip with tackiness, but they still go up every year. The kids get a new ornament every year. Some years we make them, other years we buy them. Then, when they get married or move out, they get to take them for their tree.
My favorite sight---a Christmas tree all lit up at night.
I wish I could share all the things I have been working on, but the pictures would ruin several Christmas surprises. I will just say that my little sewing machine has had a permanent place on our kitchen table for weeks now!!
Have a great day and keep warm!

13 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm with you! I love a lit up tree at night. It just warms my heart. Your home looks cozy and bright.

Felicia said...

LOVE the tree! And the banister...and the nativity...

You are so talented. It's fun to see your decorations and read about preschool :o)

Julie said...

I was just thinking yesterday how fun a banister would be to decorate a Christmas. Yours looks great. Your tree is wonderful, too. We have some of those "tacky" ornaments, but they just happen to be the girl's favorite ones. Have a great day. Oh, and I remember going to Six Star--I loved that store. Wasn't it in a strip mall? Julie

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

OH I would love that bannister to decorate too!! The nativity is so pretty lit like that. And your tree is gorgeous. I wish I could fit a taller one in here.

Our kids got ornaments and something else to decorate with every year too and now that they are own their own, they have plenty of Christmas decor. That left a lot of room on our tree for me to add lots of things I wanted. Now it is a mix of prim and sentimental things.

lera said...

Baby Jesus is quite popular at our house, too. :-)

Your house looks beautifully decorated. I love your staircase.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I love the nativity. I gave ours to my daughter when she started her family. I miss it but I am always glad to see the display. Good to know some people know the reason for the season.

familywithfivekids said...

Your home is gorgeous! I can feel a good, warm, cozy spirit just by looking at the pictures.

angie said...

it all looks so beautiful!

Leslie said...

I love your tree! Jer and I talk about getting a new skinnier one but then I worry I won't have the same amount of branches for the ornaments! LOL How silly is that?

Have a great night :)

Leslie

Sandy said...

Your decorations look wonderful...just love them!
And that is one awesome tree...it is so tall and very full! It's decorated to perfection.

Anonymous said...

Your decorations are looking fabulous. I love that Christmas tree.

Kris said...

I love that nativity! So beautiful! Your home is so festive.

mylittlegems said...

Your house really does look so cute! It makes me wish I had a staircase- because I love your banister and garland. Maybe next year I will make something like that and hang it...somewhere. I love your tree too! Really it does look so cute!